Skip to main content

6 Life Lessons From The Himalayan Trek


Far from the busy world, where there is zero signal, where the word 'busy' has no existence, that is where I've gathered these invaluable life lessons from a wonderful experience.

The story began with a single thought - Why don't I start my new year with an adventurous trek?
Kedarkantha trekking is considered one of the most visited and beginner-friendly winter treks.

This blog is intended on the life lessons that I've learnt from my trekking experience. Before that, why should you even bother to study further? Maybe one of the good reasons is to expand your perspectives.
Let's start.

  • Lesson 1
    Expect The Unexpected.

    We never thought that we can't reach the Kedarkantha peak because of heavy snowfall, this is completely unexpected. But then, it is just a travel scenario.
    Similarly, we frequently come across so many unexpected situations in our lives. Sometimes, the intensity of the situations will be in a way that it questions your existence.

    What I intend to say here is that unexpected situations may come in your life, but the response to those situations and how you handle such kinds of situations will be completely based on your mental strength. Always be strong emotionally and mentally.

  • Lesson 2
    Never Give Up.

    I can't even explain how many times I've heard this quote since my childhood. I've read it in many books, suggested by my parents and well-wishers a countless number of times. 
    For the first time in my life, I practically realized how important it is to never give up.

    There are at least 10-12 instances where I literally wanted to go back even before reaching Juda-Ka-Talab. I have no patience at all to make one step ahead, full of irritation that why am I even here. But then something has happened which shook my perspective.

    I looked around, everyone's still struggling but the only difference is that they're enjoying the journey even while they're struggling. People who are aged double than my age are jubilantly making one step at a time on the steep ascent. This completely changed my perspective for a moment, which made me push ahead and eventually reach Juda-Ka-Talab and see one of the world's beautiful sceneries.

  • Lesson 3
    Focus on the step you're gonna take, that's it.

    You don't have to focus on the whole staircase at once, just focus on the step that you're gonna take. The ascent was so steep when we started our trekking. During this process, one thing that I've clearly understood is - If you don't take care of the step that you're gonna take, who knows, you may not even reach the desired destination.

    For example, let's say that I am looking at the top of the mountain, which is my goal, and taking the step. I am not aware of what's behind me, beside me, in front of me. What would eventually happen in this case?
    I may fall down, my leg may get fractured and may not even reach the top of the mountain because of the severity of the situation.

    To sum up, once you decide your goal, your utmost focus should not be on the goal, your utmost focus should be on the step that you're gonna take which makes you move closer towards your goal.

  • Lesson 4
    Learn from others, be it positive or negative.

    A wise person always learns from others. If it is positive, inspire from them and strive to include that in your lifestyle. If it is negative, learn and reaffirm that you shouldn't be that way and be careful.
    In either of the cases, the common point is to learn from others, however tiny it can be, irrespective of the age factor.

    In this journey, my brother-in-law inspired me in many ways. Some of them are - spontaneity in handling the situations sensibly, showing concern and helping others when they're in trouble as per one's capacity.

  • Lesson 5
    Just pause and enjoy for a moment, life's already moving.

    With increasing age, our responsibilities increase. With increasing responsibilities, our day-to-day pressures increase. But don't forget to take a pause and enjoy for a moment however stressful your day is. Cheer yourself up, try to do the same things differently. Most importantly, smile for a moment in a day.

    What made me realize this is - during this journey, though our major focus is to reach Juda-Ka-Talab, we didn't let that from stopping our enjoyment. We laughed, we took pictures, we relaxed and we finally reached the destination.

    To sum up, don't let the pressure in your life stop you from enjoying the life that you already have.

  • Lesson 6
    Always be grateful, no matter what.

    The life that you're living right now is someone else's dream. The clothes that you wear casually are someone else's dream clothes. The mobile that you use is someone's dream in a lifetime.
    Appreciate and recognize the value of your life and be grateful to your life, no matter how worst you think your life is.

    When we got to know that we can't go ahead in the journey because of heavy snowfall, we obviously were a bit saddened, but more than that we're all happy that we've reached at least till this point despite heavy snowfall and survived successfully for 2 complete days. I'm so grateful for all the experiences that I had during this trek.

These may not be the different things from what you've heard before. The only difference is that you've heard the same things from a different perspective, which is from my experience.

So I hope you've found this blog post useful and if you found this useful even to the slightest extent, I request you to share this with as many people as possible. After all, sharing is caring, isn't it?

As a side note, I've captured my trekking experience by shooting a vlog. If you're excited, you can check it out here:
Kedarkantha Trek Vlog

Comments

  1. Your writing skills are just awesome please continue writing blogs atleast once in a week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First post!

Hello World, My name is Sai Rohith Karanam, currently pursuing BTech Computer Science Engineering at Lovely Professional University, Punjab. I am a tyro in writing blogs. I'm just exploring a new field in my life. Actually, I would like to share something that happened before writing this blog. From the past 5 days, I was constantly trying to write a blog and was searching like hell all over the internet. All the questions in my mind like, where to publish my blog? what to write in my blog? These type of questions kept flashing through my mind honestly till today afternoon. I then saw some videos of "how to own a domain name and buy web hosting for a cheaper price", the cheaper price I finally got is 6000 INR, but I don't want to take a risk by affording money as I am still a novice. If at all I want to afford the money, let me gain a little bit of experience by writing here and then afford it later. Then, all of a sudden, an idea flashed through my mind and s

10 lessons I have learnt in 2020...

2020 is a year of shocks, surprises, learnings and a lot of introspection for me. I know with the arise of corona pandemic, many people have lost their lives, lost their jobs, lost their own families but still, there are a lot of things we need to be grateful for. For example, at this moment, you are alive, you are reading this, your senses are working properly and above all, your health is perfectly alright in spite of the pandemic.  Now tell me, how many good things are there that we need to be grateful for amidst of corona chaos? Every year is an experience we gain for the future, experience from the mistakes that we've done, experience from the way we have responded in a particular situation and experience from our self-fulfilling prophecies. So like everyone else, this year has really taught me some valuable lessons which I believe are the first step to achieving my goals. So I thought, why not share my experience of this year with people so that they may learn something out o

Purpose in Life vs Purpose of Life

A gentle disclaimer, This post is only written on the basis of my thoughts and perspectives. It is not intended to hurt anyone's beliefs and traditions. Okay, let's start. We study at prestigious universities, we get the highest paying jobs, we get lots of money which is well enough to buy every single thing for our own comfort, our parents will be very proud of everything we have achieved and a lot more praise from the society. Are these enough for your life to be successful? If you said no, you're on the right path. But if you said yes, Think again! Today we are in the year 2020, let's move a 1000 years back. Because you were born in the 20th or 21st century, you are struggling to become a doctor or an IT professional. What if you were born 1000 years ago? Well, you might opt fishing as your career, right? What did this symbolise?  Our purpose in life, which means it is the purpose which we should fulfil to make a living for our life keeps on varying.  Today, you are